Oracle to purchase Sun Microsystems?

Doran L. Barton fozz at iodynamics.com
Sun May 17 23:45:56 MDT 2009

On Sunday 17 May 2009 23:14:31 Daniel C. wrote:
> <kenneth at mail1.ttak.org> wrote:
> > Oracle Database is a direct competitor with MySQL.
>
> Yeah, every time I start a new project I have to stop and think
> "Should I use Oracle or MySQL for this?"  It's such a close call,
> since they cost almost exactly the same amount and one is basically
> just as good as the other.

Man, you guys have a lot to learn about Oracle. Oracle is leaps and bounds
more sophisticated than MySQL in SO many ways. That being said, I'm no fan of
Oracle. I find it unwieldy, bloated, and slow for simple operations. Well, I
take that last bit back. I find it ridiculously slow for operations that I
think should be simple. I know they're not simple because of the architecture
Oracle is built on, but that architecture makes Oracle massive overkill for
anything you might consider MySQL for. Oh, and I hate DUAL. Who doesn't,
though?

The solution: In most cases, forget both of them and use PostgreSQL. It's
every bit as free and open as half of MySQL ever was and it's quite a bit more
sophisticated. It's performance is as good or better than MySQL and it
actually features real security options.

I've heard people say "PostgreSQL is as close as you're going to get to Oracle
without whipping out your checkbook."

PostgreSQL has been doing things the RightWay(tm) almost since day-one,
whereas MySQL has been implementing cheats and hacks along the way in an
effort to look like it's doing things right. Case in point: Sub-selects,
transactions, and locking. PostgreSQL has done these things correctly for
years and MySQL's response has been something like "You can do this now if you
use this other table type that sacrifices performance and it's by no means the
default behavior." Lame.

A good friend of mine once said, "MySQL is a good database backend for a
personal shopping list." Right. It works great when you're not dealing with
things like concurrency, multiple accesses, record locking, transactions, etc.

Whew. Hit a nerve.

--
Doran L. "Fozz" Barton <fozz at iodynamics.com>
Open-source developer, sysadmin, consultant, and all-around geeky dude