Oracle to purchase Sun Microsystems?

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Sun May 17 23:43:15 MDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-05-17 at 23:11 -0600, Aaron Toponce wrote:
> On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 09:31:19PM -0600, Kenneth Burgener wrote:
> > I was reading an article ("Oracle: SELECT * FROM Sun" [1]) discussing
> > Oracle's acquisition of Sun Microsystems [2].  The article speculates on
> > the effect this could have on various Sun backed projects such as MySQL,
> > Java, Solaris, and OpenOffice.  Oracle Database is a direct competitor
> > with MySQL.  Do you think Oracle will continue to support MySQL, or will
> > it will morph into an "Oracle Express Edition"?  Do you think the
> > acquisition will have a positive or negative impact on these important
> > projects?
>
> Actually, I'm more interested in Oracle acquiring Virtual Iron. This
> acquisition tells me Oracle isn't interested in Sun's xVM. Why purchae a
> directly competing product to the one you just purchase months prior?
>
> http://www.oracle.com/virtualiron/index.html

One reason is to merge technologies. Because Oracle VM, Sun xVM and
Virtual Iron are all based on Xen, they're aren't mutually exclusive.

Another reason is to put the competitor out to pasture, forcing
customers to switch to whichever Oracle prefers.

See, for example, PeopleSoft. Oracle had already created its own
competing product before buying PeopleSoft.

using enough of it." - Chris Maden