Oracle to purchase Sun Microsystems?

Aaron Toponce aaron.toponce at gmail.com
Sun May 17 23:11:41 MDT 2009

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 09:31:19PM -0600, Kenneth Burgener wrote:
> I was reading an article ("Oracle: SELECT * FROM Sun" [1]) discussing
> Oracle's acquisition of Sun Microsystems [2].  The article speculates on
> the effect this could have on various Sun backed projects such as MySQL,
> Java, Solaris, and OpenOffice.  Oracle Database is a direct competitor
> with MySQL.  Do you think Oracle will continue to support MySQL, or will
> it will morph into an "Oracle Express Edition"?  Do you think the
> acquisition will have a positive or negative impact on these important
> projects?

Actually, I'm more interested in Oracle acquiring Virtual Iron. This
acquisition tells me Oracle isn't interested in Sun's xVM. Why purchae a
directly competing product to the one you just purchase months prior?

http://www.oracle.com/virtualiron/index.html

--
. O .   O . O   . . O   O . .   . O .
. . O   . O O   O . O   . O O   . . O