Oracle to purchase Sun Microsystems?

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Sun May 17 21:42:14 MDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-05-17 at 21:31 -0600, Kenneth Burgener wrote:
> I was reading an article ("Oracle: SELECT * FROM Sun" [1]) discussing
> Oracle's acquisition of Sun Microsystems [2].  The article speculates on
> the effect this could have on various Sun backed projects such as MySQL,
> Java, Solaris, and OpenOffice.  Oracle Database is a direct competitor
> with MySQL.  Do you think Oracle will continue to support MySQL, or will
> it will morph into an "Oracle Express Edition"?  Do you think the
> acquisition will have a positive or negative impact on these important
> projects?

Wow, you're pretty late to the game.

A lot of hot air was produced by "analysts" predicting what would
happen. If you need to warm your hands over a little infotainment, I
recommend searching the archive of your favorite tech reporter/blogger.

If you're looking for actual information, the truth is nobody knows how
this will play out. Maybe not even Larry Ellison. But it's sure going to
be interesting to watch over the next couple years.

using enough of it." - Chris Maden