TCP RSTs seen when routing is expected.

Kenneth Burgener kenneth at mail1.ttak.org
Sun May 17 10:16:19 MDT 2009

On 5/17/2009 3:40 AM, Scott Edwards wrote:
> I'm expecting this box to forward traffic like a router, but it's not
> playing nice.  It might be because I'm up at 3:30am trying to figure
> this out. hah :)  the 192.0.0.2 address is simply for "example.com"
> style usage.
>
> forwarding was enabled by echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
>
> iptables-save shows all chains are ACCEPT.  There is one rule in the
> nat table, FOWARD chain, as ACCEPT, however there are no packets/bytes
> accounted for.

A couple of suggestions...

1. Does the forwarding work with a completely flushed iptables?  Try the
following...
  iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
  iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
  iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT
  iptables -F
  iptables -X
  for table in filter nat mangle; do
      iptables -t $table -F
      iptables -t $table -X
      iptables -t $table -Z
  done

2. Does your destination have a firewall enabled that could be blocking
the traffic?

3. Is your internal interface enabled?  Does your internal interface
have an address that is in the "network" range that you are forwarding to?

4. Does your internal network have "public" or "private" IP addresses?
If they are private do you have the NAT masquerading configured for the
right interface?

Kenneth