multiple mail servers for one domain

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Fri May 15 08:44:23 MDT 2009

Merrill Oveson wrote:
> Possible to do....?
> I have a user say joan at foo.com
>
> I want her to get her email from foo.com
>
> everyone else is set up to access their email thru gmail.
>
> The MX record points to gmail.google.com
>
> Possible to have more that one MX record which essentially splits the
> domain?

The cleanest solution to this is to have her gmail set up to forward to
joan at hostname.foo.com (not @foo.com to avoid a mail loop), and have
hostname.foo.com running a mail server to accept mail for her account
(and any others like this). If you wanted to get fancy you could make
hostname.foo.com a secondary MX that forwards mail for @foo.com to the
primary MX (gmail) but that's likely to be a backdoor for spam and
probably not worth it.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach