multiple mail servers for one domain

Daniel C. dcrookston at
Thu May 14 13:40:15 MDT 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Merrill Oveson <moveson at> wrote:
> Possible to do....?
> I have a user say joan at
> I want her to get her email from
> everyone else is set up to access their email thru gmail.
> The MX record points to
> Possible to have more that one MX record which essentially splits the
> domain?

You can have more than one MX record, and then when a server tries to
send mail to your domain it will try them in order.  As far as I know
it's not possible to direct mail to different servers according to
what user it's going to - at least not using DNS.  You can however
have your mail server (depending on which one you use) accept mail for
that user and then send it off somewhere else.