is the serial number on the motherboard unique

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Wed May 13 19:15:34 MDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 16:16 -0600, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> jessie at confettiantiques.com wrote:

> > Yes, that would work good. And the MAC address can easily be changed.
> > Something like "ifconfig eth0 hw net 00:34:E3:F1:A0".
> >> How about using:
> >> dmidecode -s system-uuid
>
> Keep in mind that some motherboards refuse to be reduced to a mere
> number. :-)  I have a Tyan board that gives this number:

Some refuse to give a number at all, such as this old HP server I've
got. My newer Dell laptop is actually kind enough to report the service
tag for the system-serial-number. I can think of one specific time that
would have really helped a few years ago. The Dell tag was conveniently
located on a server just under a rail. Had to half-way dismantle it, all
without dropping service of course.

Corey