LVM Mirroring failure notification

Matthew Walker mwalker at kydance.net
Tue May 12 13:50:17 MDT 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 1:35 pm, Michael Torrie wrote:
> Mike Lovell wrote:
>> I'm not trying to do a 6 drive raid 5. Doing a -m1 creates one copy of
>> the new LV. So in this case, I would lose the equivalent of half of the
>> storage space which would be the same as doing a RAID10.
>
> Is it striping across mirrored sets of disk (2 disks)?  Or is your
> system striping across 3 disks and mirroring that with the other 3?
> Maybe there's no difference, but I've always had it in the back of my
> mind that stripping across mirrored sets is the preferred way to do this.

Making stripes of mirrored sets is better than mirroring a striped set, yes.

In a striped mirrors, you can lose up to half the disks, as long as no two are in the
same mirrored set.

In mirrored stripes, you can also lose up to half the disks... as long as they're all in
the same set. Otherwise, you can only lose one.

--
Matthew Walker