LVM Mirroring failure notification

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Tue May 12 10:25:44 MDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-12 at 09:48 -0600, Matthew Walker wrote:
> On Tue, May 12, 2009 9:44 am, Aaron Toponce wrote:
> > Unless you need that extreme redundancy, I would suggest starting over
> > using Linux software RAID beneath LVM. With 6 drives, I would do RAID
> > level 6 with all active in the array. Then, you're utilizing a decent
> > amount of disk space for your 6 drives, and should a drive fail, you'll
> > deprecate to RAID 5, which works well.
>
> I would do raid 0+1. You waste 3 drives of space, but you get really good redundancy and
> improved performance (theoretically, anyway).

Instead of raid0+1 or raid1+0, I would suggest Linux software raid10.
It's the same thing at the disk level, but because Linux knows what
you're trying to accomplish, it's easier to manage.

Raid6 is also a very good choice.

Perhaps you're avoiding software raid because you've read bad things
about it? Other OSes might have problems, but Linux software raid is
very high quality. Much better than low-end hardware raid.

using enough of it." - Chris Maden