LVM Mirroring failure notification

Aaron Toponce aaron.toponce at gmail.com
Tue May 12 09:44:00 MDT 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 02:46:23AM -0600, Mike Lovell wrote:
> So I have a box that I want to use 6 drives with lvm on for xen virtual
> machines with. While experimenting with things, I found that I can just
> do a pv for each disk and then add -m1 to lvcreate to do a mirror. The
> question I have is how can I make things automatically notify me by
> email if one of the drives, that has parts of a mirror, fails? I am
> liking using LVM mirroring in this situation but I it doesn't help me a
> lot if I don't know when a drive fails. Thanks for any help.

Wait, let me get this straight- you have 6 drives, and you're using RAID
level 1 through LVM? You know what that means, right? You've just lost 5
disks worth of space. Why not just give the 5 disks to me? I could put
them to good use. :)

Unless you need that extreme redundancy, I would suggest starting over
using Linux software RAID beneath LVM. With 6 drives, I would do RAID
level 6 with all active in the array. Then, you're utilizing a decent
amount of disk space for your 6 drives, and should a drive fail, you'll
deprecate to RAID 5, which works well.

Just a thought.

--
. O .   O . O   . . O   O . .   . O .