is the serial number on the motherboard unique

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Mon May 11 15:21:08 MDT 2009

Merrill Oveson wrote:
> Good idea, or is there something better?

I don't know of any workable way of doing this.  Every piece of
information can be faked or virtualized.  I've been using VMs for years
to keep node-locked software running after the original hardware failed.

If you wanted to do something kind of like Microsoft's windows
activation, hash a GUUID based on a variety of things like mac address,
motherboard serial number, CPU characteristics, etc.

The question is, what happens when the NIC is changed?  Or the CPU is
replaced?  or the motherboard goes bad and has to be replaced?