May PLUG Meeting; The Open Source Datacenter

Ryan Simpkins plug at ryansimpkins.com
Mon May 11 14:12:36 MDT 2009

Date: May 13th, 2009
Time: 7:30 PM - 9:30 PM
Location: Omniture, Inc. Building H this month.

FREE FOOD provided by Omniture!

PLUG:

I apologize for getting this out so late! Be sure to come. This is going to be
a great presentation. Dan manages over 15,000 Linux servers. You may not have
that many, but the lessons learned can help anyone who is using Linux as a
server (from few to many). From Dan:

"During the last 10 years of system administration I have been involved in a
number of data center migrations and build-outs. As these projects came and
went I began to see patterns emerge in the set of services and software
required to run a successful operations infrastructure. This presentation will
describe these patterns, and provide an overview of the Open Source software
available to implement them."

About Dan:
Dan Hanks has been involved with Linux System administration since 1998, when
he worked for EagleNet Online, a small ISP in Provo, which, in a sense, was
the birthplace of PLUG. After EagleNet he worked as a systems and database
administrator for Nothsky/About.com/Primedia/United Online and is currently a
system administrator for Omniture. He has varied interests, ranging from
computers and technology to astronomy, geology, music, art, and family history
research. He holds a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science from BYU, and is
the father of 4 adventuresome children. He (occasionally) blogs at
http://brainshed.com, and tweets as @danhanks.

See you all there!