Linux sprinkler controller project

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Sun May 10 23:58:08 MDT 2009

On 05/09/2009 10:06 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> Any ideas where I should start? I reckon I'll need these questions
> answered first:
>
>     - How do I control a sprinkler valve?
>     - What kind of hardware platform should I use to do that?
>
> If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.

It's not exactly the architecture you specified, so it may not work for
you, but I've always wanted to buy something like these:

http://www.smarthome.com/31270/INSTEON-8-Zone-Sprinkler-Controller-Lawn-Irrigation-System/p.aspx
http://www.smarthome.com/31263/Orbit-6-Zone-Outdoor-Super-Dial-Sprinkler-Timer-57881/p.aspx
http://www.smarthome.com/31253/Rain8net-8-Zone-Irrigation-Controller-Irrigation-System-Controller/p.aspx
http://www.x10minitimer.com/sprinkler_control.html

Just never got 'round to it.  I even have a couple of X10 firecrackers
waiting for this project to get funded.

You just plug the firecracker into your serial port (or maybe there are
newer X10 computer interfaces), then you control your sprinklers from
that computer.  I suspect that could be an [open|dd]wrt box, but I don't
know.

FWIW,
Barry