Ubuntu Run VNC Across Login/Logout?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sun May 10 21:54:21 MDT 2009

Kimball Larsen wrote:
> Moving past the fact that this is a pretty insecure way to do things,
> how is this set up?  I assume I've got to add something to the gdm or
> xorg startup scripts, but I'm not sure where to start.

The way OS X's GUI works and X11 works is very different.

Maybe you need to run Xvnc with the "-query localhost" command.  Of
course you'll need to enable that in the gdm config.  But this isn't
quite what you want though.  This would give you a remote session, but
not the one currently displayed.

I doubt you can do it exactly as you want because X restarts or resets
often during the process.  Certainly on logout X resets, which would
kill a vnc that was sharing it.