Ubuntu Run VNC Across Login/Logout?

Kimball Larsen kimball at kimballlarsen.com
Sun May 10 21:16:39 MDT 2009

Many of you may poo-poo me for being all insecure, but I'd like to set
up my new Ubuntu 9.04 box to run a vnc server *all the time* - so that
as soon as the machine boots, I can vnc in to see the GDM login
screen, and not have it disconnect me when I log in.

OS X does this perfectly - I have a little mac mini at home for my
kids to use, and whenever it is booted up, I can vnc into it using the
stock implementation from Apple.

Moving past the fact that this is a pretty insecure way to do things,
how is this set up?  I assume I've got to add something to the gdm or
xorg startup scripts, but I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks!

- Kimball
http://www.kimballlarsen.com