Linux sprinkler controller project

Kimball Larsen kimball at kimballlarsen.com
Sat May 9 23:55:50 MDT 2009

On May 9, 2009, at 10:06 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> Okay Plug, let's get those creative juices flowing. I am sick of
> crappy non-intuitive user interfaces on home sprinkler control
> boxes, so I want to build my own. I want to create a box about the
> size of a home router that runs Linux, has Ethernet (or WiFi for a
> bonus), and controls up to 12 sprinkler valves. It will run a web
> server on which I would want to write a web app for sprinkler
> control. Ideally it would cost less than $100 in parts, and be
> something I could solder together in a day.

<snip>

> 	- How do I control a sprinkler valve?
> 	- What kind of hardware platform should I use to do that?
>
> If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.
>
> --Dave

Did you see this[1] yet?  In it, this guy uses a wrt54g router + one
of the open wrt firmwares - ddwrt, iirc, some relays, and some iphone
mojo to control an rc helicopter from his iPhone.

How is this applicable to your question?  I mean, besides being the
coolest thing I saw this week...

His little wrt54G is hooked to his servos on the copter via the
ethernet ports.  This means he figured out basically how to fire
relays that are connected to the ethernet ports, without using an
ethernet protocol.

I'd start by presenting your use case to this guy and asking for his
source code (for the ddwrt app he wrote) and more in depth info for
how he did what he did.

Sounds like a pretty cool project!

-- Kimball

[1]:  http://myauntishot.com/2009/full-scale-airplanes/rc-planes/how-to-use-an-iphone-to-fly-rc-airplanes-and-helicopters