Linux sprinkler controller project

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Sat May 9 22:06:09 MDT 2009

Okay Plug, let's get those creative juices flowing. I am sick of
crappy non-intuitive user interfaces on home sprinkler control boxes,
so I want to build my own. I want to create a box about the size of a
home router that runs Linux, has Ethernet (or WiFi for a bonus), and
controls up to 12 sprinkler valves. It will run a web server on which
I would want to write a web app for sprinkler control. Ideally it
would cost less than $100 in parts, and be something I could solder
together in a day. Here's the rough look of the system:

Sprinker Valves <--- My New Box <--- TCP/IP <--- My home PC

I've been googling for such a box, and I have found nothing complete
enough to buy off the shelf, so I'm ready to start hacking my own
together.

Any ideas where I should start? I reckon I'll need these questions
answered first:

	- How do I control a sprinkler valve?
	- What kind of hardware platform should I use to do that?

If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.

--Dave