NetBIOS resolution with Ubuntu BIND server

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed May 6 16:29:57 MDT 2009

Stephen Ward wrote:
> Samba is acting as a domain controller.  Sorry, I should have
> mentioned that in the original post.  And Samba is launching NMBD.
> Has been for months.

If I understand what you're trying to do, I believe you need to enable
WINS server support in Samba, and then using dhcp pass the wins address
to every client.

Here is the relevant part of dhcpd.conf:

option netbios-name-servers x.x.x.x;

After that, all windows computers will register themselves with wins
(you can have samba servers register with wins too) and nebios will
resolve them on every machine regardless of subnet.