Debian Lenny & AMD Geode

Aaron Toponce aaron.toponce at gmail.com
Tue May 5 08:22:54 MDT 2009

On Mon, May 04, 2009 at 06:43:04PM -0600, Charles Curley wrote:
> I just did a net install of Lenny, Debian 5.01 on a first generation
> fit-PC (http://www.fit-pc.com/new/). I selected XFCE instead of
> Gnome. The install went fine until I went to fire up X. It was not
> configured during installation.
>
> First question: what program should I have run to configure X?

'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg' should work.

> So even though I now have a working configuration, I'd like to see why
> configuration failed so I can file a bug report.

You might want to dig through you /var/log/Xorg.0.log file. Keep an eye
out for any '(WW)' and '(EE)' for warnings and errors. 'X -probeonly' is
also a decent debugging tool for seeing exactly where Xorg stopped. It
goes through the motions of starting X without actually doing it,
printing it's progress to STDOUT along the way.

> Lenny is much faster on the fit-PC than Ubuntu, BTW, noticeably even at
> the command line. So I may stick with Debian on them.

I praise Ubuntu for many of the directions they have taken on the
desktop, but their memory footprint has grown and grown to the point
that taking advantage of older or less powerful computers is becoming
increasingly difficult with Ubuntu. Debian is a good alternative.
Although, a new install always seems faster to me, as there is less data
to churn through on the disk than an old install.

--
. O .   O . O   . . O   O . .   . O .
. . O   . O O   O . O   . O O   . . O