Backup scripts

Jason Hall jayce at lug-nut.com
Tue Mar 31 12:14:46 MDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 11:58 AM, Joel Finlinson <joel at finlinson.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Stuart Jansen <sjansen at buscaluz.org>wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2009-03-31 at 11:44 -0600, Hans Fugal wrote:
>> > Too bad time machine doesn't work over the network. Seriously, what were
>> > they thinking?
>>
>> I thought it could if you bought special hardware from Apple. Wasn't
>> that one of the features of their latest access point or something?
>>
>> --
>

> http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/timemachine.html
> Pick a disk. Any disk.
>
> You can designate just about any HFS+ formatted FireWire or USB drive
> connected to a Mac as a Time Machine backup drive. Time Machine can also
> back up to another Mac running Leopard with Personal File Sharing, Leopard
> Server, or Xsan storage devices.

Doesn't even have to be HFS+ in all truth, it just has to be shared
via AFP (netatalk + avahi).  I have some machines at home synched to
my linux box

Here's an example
http://www.kremalicious.com/2008/06/ubuntu-as-mac-file-server-and-time-machine-volume/

You can also use the airport extreme to host a disk (which shares it
the same way), or the time machine product if you want to buy more
apple :)

It is harder to do a bare-metal restore from a remote share like this,
but you can always just copy the individual machines backup image to a
portable drive when you need to do that.
--
Jayce^

The Cloud is my Platform
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ