Speaking serial out RJ-45 jack

Nicholas Leippe nick at leippe.com
Mon Mar 30 11:11:45 MDT 2009

On Mon Mar 30 2009 10:40:41 Dave Smith wrote:
> Nicholas Leippe wrote:
> >> However, in theory I can just tell my computer to speak serial out my
> >> ethernet port.
> >
> > No, in theory and in practice, you can't. They are totally different
> > electrical specifications.
>
> Just to clarify, the reason Nicholas is right is because of the Ethernet
> MAC and PHY on your computer, which can't speak RS-232.

It was wrong of me to say that it can't be done in theory, because in theory
you could create a chip that could switch modes. Since the practical use is so
small I doubt anyone would ever do so.

Some serial chips, however, can switch between many various modes--rs-232,
rs-422, hdlc, sdlc, T1 (with all the various framings and encodings), etc.
Perhaps this is where you got the idea.