Backup scripts

Kimball Larsen kimball at kimballlarsen.com
Mon Mar 30 10:22:04 MDT 2009

On Mar 30, 2009, at 10:01 AM, Stuart Jansen wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-03-30 at 09:07 -0600, Hans Fugal wrote:
>> rsnapshot looks nice. Can anyone comment on using it to back up hosts
>> that are sporadically available, like my laptop? Ideally it would be
>> able to use nmblookup to find the host, but if not I can always set
>> up
>> some kind of dynamic dns.
>
> rsnapshot assumes that it will be run regularly. If you take advantage
> of the automatic day, week, month rotation capabilities, it won't
> handle
> holes nicely without human intervention.
>
> I'm sure patches are welcome. ;-)

I'll pop in here to mention backuppc[1].  While I've not looked in-
depth at rsnapshot, backuppc does meet all of the requirements set out
by Gabe, and it has the advantage of gracefully handling backups of
sporadically available laptops such as Hans mentions.

I use backuppc to backup our entire office full of mac, linux, and
windows machines.  Works great. :)

-- Kimball

[1]: http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/