Backup scripts

Byron Clark byron at theclarkfamily.name
Sun Mar 29 18:38:21 MDT 2009

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 05:52:26PM -0600, Gabriel Gunderson wrote:
> Any recommendations for a backup script?  I'm just about to revisit
> the one I wrote and thought, "someone has already done this *and* done
> a better job of it then me."
>
> My needs are not that different then most people: hard-links with a
> few weeks of archives, key based auth, encrypted and compressed in
> transit, simple reporting, and configurable.  Oh yeah, I also would
> like to stop and resume the jobs and have it pick up where it left
> off.

Sounds like rsnapshot[1] would meet your needs pretty well.  It uses
hard links and keeps a configurable amount of archives.  Configuration
is dirt simple and you can even configure it to do things like dump your
database to a text file so it will be included in the backup.  If you
use ssh as the transport you can get the key based auth, encrypted and
compressed transmission easily.

[1] http://www.rsnapshot.org/

--
Byron Clark