Backup scripts

Byron Clark byron at
Sun Mar 29 18:38:21 MDT 2009

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 05:52:26PM -0600, Gabriel Gunderson wrote:
> Any recommendations for a backup script?  I'm just about to revisit
> the one I wrote and thought, "someone has already done this *and* done
> a better job of it then me."
> My needs are not that different then most people: hard-links with a
> few weeks of archives, key based auth, encrypted and compressed in
> transit, simple reporting, and configurable.  Oh yeah, I also would
> like to stop and resume the jobs and have it pick up where it left
> off.

Sounds like rsnapshot[1] would meet your needs pretty well.  It uses
hard links and keeps a configurable amount of archives.  Configuration
is dirt simple and you can even configure it to do things like dump your
database to a text file so it will be included in the backup.  If you
use ssh as the transport you can get the key based auth, encrypted and
compressed transmission easily.

Byron Clark