SATA controllers...

Matt Nelson matt at frozenatom.com
Sat Mar 28 11:39:06 MDT 2009

Well I found that anger and rage does pay off :)

I was having a problem with my sata controllers not supporting drives larger
then 500GB.  I found that there is a new bios for this chipset that fixes
this.  Well this morning I found a magnifying glass so I could read the
numbers on the eprom on my controller and googled it and found that it is a
write once only eprom!!! that would explain why it hangs when I try to flash
it.

Well after dealing with this last night and then finding this out this
morning I resorted to anger.  I litterally removed the eprom off one of the
cards.  I figured I dont use the raid on the card anyways.  Well after doing
this I booted it up and everything works :-)

The controller bios no longer loads, and that was what was hanging with the
large drives.  Granted I have lost the ability to ever use "raid" on this
controller, but I use mdadm anyways.

I removed the eprom from the other card and just finished creating my array
and am now copying data.