Open firmware for router

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 16:42:33 MDT 2009

Carl Youngblood wrote:
> I think Dans Guardian might be beyond the capabilities of most
> routers. I looked into this at some point in time but found that
> squid+dg is fairly resource intensive.

You can build a router from an Alix board for about $200 with plenty of
power to run DG and squid or tinyproxy.  128 MB RAM, CF storage.  I
think my alix board has 3 ethernet ports and wireless in a miniPCI slot.
 It's actually a smaller package than the average linksys.  With OpenWRT
plus Xwrt, it seems to have all the normal features you'd want in wireless.