Open firmware for router

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 14:21:09 MDT 2009

Richard Esplin wrote:
> Will an open firmware like OpenWrt, DD-Wrt, or Tomato work on routers that do
> not have wireless hardware? Google suggests that it won't, but I wanted to
> check with you experts.

Of course.  While Tomato is specifically geared for wireless hardware it
probably works.  I know that OpenWrt, and probably DD-Wrt, absolutely
work without wireless.  I tend to avoid DD-Wrt because large parts of it
are not open source and you have to pay to get DD-Wrt on x86 hardware
(if you use an Alix embedded board for example).

> Is there an open firmware that would work on such a device? I can't find one.

OpenWrt for sure works.  Depending on your hardware you might have to
build your own firmware.  The build system has a learning curve but is
not too bad.

I'd like to run OpenWrt on the Marvell SheevaPlug that I ordered, but
I'm not sure OpenWrt can build for such a system just yet.