Open firmware for router

Richard Esplin richard at esplins.org
Fri Mar 27 13:56:50 MDT 2009

I want a cheap firewall that I can configure to do VPN, VOIP QoS, and maybe
even DansGuardian filtering. I already have a wireless device, so paying for
wireless functionality I won't use is a little annoying. I just want a router
I can tinker with. I imagined getting something like a Linksys RVS4000 or
Netgear FVS336G-100NAS and putting my own firmware on it.

Will an open firmware like OpenWrt, DD-Wrt, or Tomato work on routers that do
not have wireless hardware? Google suggests that it won't, but I wanted to
check with you experts.

Is there an open firmware that would work on such a device? I can't find one.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Richard Esplin