Implementing EDI help

James Lance james at thelances.net
Mon Mar 23 17:26:21 MDT 2009

Hello Pluggers,

I'm working on a project that requires building and parsing EDI
files.  I'm taking the initial dive into the EDI world and it seems
like the standards committees are pretty tight lipped about how to
actually go about implementing it.

I need to be able to generate several files (for the curious I need
850, 856 and 846) that deal with order fulfillment, inventory and ship
confirmations.

I'm currently using Python for my platform, but I'm not finding a
whole lot out there that is very helpful.  I found one tutorial that
explained how to turn EDI into XML, but I'm still not sure how to
actually generate raw EDI files.

Any help or pointers would be much appreciated.

-James Lance