very strange apache time zone problem

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Wed Mar 18 17:08:17 MDT 2009

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009, Michael Torrie wrote:

> On my server, php apps are reporting the timezone is switching back and
> forth between -0600 and -0500.  Also all the log files (access_log, and
> error_log) bounce back and forth between these two time zones.  This is
> becoming a problem for one poorly written app that stores dates as a
> unix timestamp as depending on the refresh of the page shows appoints an
> hour off of the expected time.
>
> As I said it's not just a php problem.  The access logs all show this
> weirdness.  Has anyone seen this before?  I found one other person on
> google who has reported this problem, but no one replied at all to his
> queries.  Likely I won't either, owing to the rarity of this problem!

Have you restarted Apache lately? (Full restart, not graceful or HUP.)

If it's been running since before the daylight saving time switch, it's
possible some children are still in the old UTC offset, while new ones are
in the new offset. Seems like I've run into that before.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen
End Point Corporation