Apache/mod_ssl crashing on startup

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Wed Mar 18 14:21:42 MDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 13:29 -0600, Barry Roberts wrote:
> I have an internal-use-only web server that had several hundred days of
> uptime before a power change recently.  Since it has powered back up I
> can't get apache to start.

When things get mysterious, I start looking in unexpected corners. How
about an rpm -Va?

Perhaps the config file has hidden corruption? cat -A ssl.conf

Perhaps there is cruft in /tmp.

Here's a way to check Andrew's missing deps theory:

rpm -Va --nodigest --nofiles --noscripts --nosignature --nolinkto \
  --nomd5 --nosize --nouser --nogroup --nomtime --nomode --nordev

> It's a 32-bit CentOS 5 machine.  If I remove the ssl.conf from
> /etc/httpd/conf.d, it starts up fine.  With it, it segfaults on startup.

Have you tried using openssl to view the contents of the cert and key
files?

> strace httpd -k start shows the last system calls (I can send the full
> output) as either a whole bunch of:
> time(NULL)                              = 1237404201

Perhaps it would be helpful to configure Apache to use just one process
and one thread. This will make using strace easier. Perhaps the
corruption is happening earlier in strace but being hidden.

using enough of it." - Chris Maden