Funky arp problem

Kenny Long long.kenny at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 22:08:29 MDT 2009

Mike,

Will you provide us with a bit more information?  How many of these
misbehaving servers do you have?  Are they all on the same broadcast or
switching domain or are they on different networks separated by routers?  Do
they all start up the problem at the same exact time?  Do you have an
unmanaged or managed switch that these are plugged into?  When the problem
occurs, run a "tcpdump -i eth0 -vvvn" where eth0 is the NIC in question.
Then try to ping the server in question from another box on the network, and
see if the server in question is receiving the ARP requests.  If its not, it
wouldnt seem likely the problem belongs to the server, but elsewhere in the
network.  If you are seeing the ARP requests but your server is not
responding to them, then we can work from there.

I hope this helps you.

Kenny Long