Funky arp problem

Mike Lovell mike at dev-zero.net
Fri Mar 13 17:03:06 MDT 2009

I have several Supermicro servers. Over the past about 2 months, a few
of them have started being stupid when it comes to networking. On these
servers, I reinstalled the OS (debian etch and *gasp* windows) and,
afterwards, the box stops responding to arp requests. If I try to ping
the server, I get a no route to host error. The arp tables show an
incomplete for the ip address of the box. Funny thing is that if I then
get to a console for the box and just generate any kind of network
traffic, things then work. Any ideas on this? (and I don't really
consider a cron to wget google every minute a solution). It has happened
on a few different models of servers and across Linux and Windows. Thanks

Mike