RFID passports

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Fri Mar 13 09:16:54 MDT 2009

My renewed passport came in the mail yesterday, and I'm surprised that
it didn't come with a RFID-blocking sleeve.  Apparently they send them
out with passport cards:

http://www.darkreading.com/security/privacy/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=213401555

Is there a reason they send them with the passport cards but not with
the sleeves?  The new passports have an extremely stiff cover, and I
can't get it to close completely.  After opening it, it stays open at an
angle of about 60 degrees.  If I squeeze it closed as much as possible,
it goes down to about 30 degrees, which is still well over an inch.

I'm not exactly surprised that the government got it wrong, but I'm
still disappointed.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/