router/wap suggestions?

Matt Nelson matt at frozenatom.com
Wed Mar 11 21:20:06 MDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 9:05 PM, Mike Lovell <mike at dev-zero.net> wrote:

> Garth Hill wrote:
>
>> I'm looking to replace my shoddy wireless router and I have the following
>> questions for the myriads of (knowledgeable, experienced) sysadmins and
>> hobbyists on this list:
>>
>> 1. Is it preferable to have a regular router and then a wireless access
>> point, or a wireless router?
>>
> Depends on your price limits and the amount of flexibility that you need.
> If you want to do very many fancy things on your border to the outside, say
> a vpn or voip server, then you could definitely benefit from separate
> devices. I do them separate cause I like pfsense for a router. But if you
> don't really care about processor or storage intensive functions, combining
> them is probably fine.
>
>> 2. Is 802.11n the way to go yet?
>>
> Again, depends. I personally don't see the need for 802.11n at the moment.
> But then of course, for any thing where I need speed, I use wired
> networking. If you want to stream HD over wireless, you might need it. On
> the other hand, unless you have some insane internet connection, regular
> 802.11g is still faster than your connection to the internet. So unless you
> want to transfer a lot of data around your own network, you probably wont
> notice a difference.
>
>> 3. What are your suggestions of a good router and/or WAP based on these
>> priorities: reliability, speed, price?
>>
> Buying dedicated Access Points is usually pointless for home users cause
> the routers are cheaper and, by doing simply turning off the dhcp on the
> router and setting an different IP address, you have an access point.
>
> I usually just go for the tried and true wrt54gl. Good solid router that
> has been tried over and over again. I have used at least 10 of these with no
> problems. So they are reliable. They have good speed if you only need
> 802.11g. And the price isn't bad. Usually ~60 from newegg.
>
> Although, I have been looking for a new router with 802.11a (too many
> neighbors creating 2.4ghz noise) but most current ones also have 802.11n. I
> am being tempted by the Linksys wrt610n for an access point. From what I
> have seen in researching new linksys routers with openwrt, it looks like the
> 802.11n chipsets have limited support in openwrt. So if you do want 802.11n
> and more features in the router besides what comes with it, you probably
> want to separate the router and access point.

I have two access points a wrt54g2 V1 and love it.  I also have a wrt610n
V2, and hate the POS.  I had all sorts of problems with stability and not
being able to discover the access point, and finally had to force the thing
to g only to get it to work reliably.

The problem was that when I would try to connect to the 802.11n it would not
connect.  I had to connect to my other 802.11g AP and then I could connect
to the 802.11n AP... and that was not the end of it.  After running on that
AP for a few hours it would hang.  This is considered a BAD thing, although
it taught me to run all my nightly deploys in screen :)  Also last I checked
it does not support DD-WRT or Tomato.

Anyways I don't know if it is just me but I will never buy another wrt610n.

On a unrelated note does anyone want to buy a wrt610n V2? :-)