router/wap suggestions?

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Wed Mar 11 10:54:19 MDT 2009

On 03/11/2009 10:25 AM, Garth Hill wrote:
> I'm looking to replace my shoddy wireless router and I have the
> following questions for the myriads of (knowledgeable, experienced)
> sysadmins and hobbyists on this list:
>
> 1. Is it preferable to have a regular router and then a wireless
> access point, or a wireless router?
That depends.  I keep them separate, but I just so I can upgrade them
independently.
> 2. Is 802.11n the way to go yet?
If you need the speed.
> 3. What are your suggestions of a good router and/or WAP based on
> these priorities: reliability, speed, price?
I'm getting ready to buy 2 of these
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124262&Tpk=wrt600n)
and put something like [open|dd]wrt on them.  I can't find the review
right now, but I have read reviews that benchmark the Dual-Band routers,
and they are faster.  So if you have a need for speed and can afford it,
that's what I would recommend, having just done the research for myself.

My bridged 802.11g network is just barely too slow to stream HD.  So I'm
gonna upgrade.

My current setup is 3 of these
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817201523)
bridging 3 wired networks in my house.  They have worked flawlessly for
years.  I don't think you'll ever put linux on them, but the firmware
has bridging capability built-in, so it does what I needed.  When
transferring files over wireless wget or scp show between 1.5 and 2.5
MB/s throughput.  Highly recommended if 802.11g is fast enough for you.

FWIW,
Barry