posting - was Re: Sweet Mother of Perl!

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 05:58:13 MDT 2009

Ahh, another flame war in the making.

James F. Carroll wrote:
> P.S.  Is bottom-posting or top-posting preferred on this list?  Thanks!

Top-posting is never acceptable, generally.  But bottom-posting without
trimming or relevant quoting is a bad thing too.

Instead, trim your quotes, and reply below each relevant part.  This way
your message has context.  It is acceptable to preface your post with
some top-posted statement, as I have done in this message.  If you are
replying from your iPhone, or from Gmail, I realize that both of these
default to having your reply at the top (huge gmail gripe here), but
take the extra time to do it right.  It just makes things go so much
better when group rules and etiquette--written or unwritten--are
followed, even in this little thing.