Sweet Mother of Perl!

James F. Carroll jcarroll at byu.net
Tue Mar 10 04:04:40 MDT 2009

Matt,

at 10:08 PM, Matt wrote:

> I always hated the whole "For Dummies" books...

As others have said...

   1. I think Perl Cookbook
<http://my.safaribooksonline.com/0596003137> or Perl
   in a Nutshell <http://my.safaribooksonline.com/0596002416> would be best
   for you.
   2. I learned with Learning
Perl<http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9780596520106> 4th
   ed. (currently 5th ed.).  Enjoyable, humorous reading.  Since you know
   python, bash, and regex, you don't need it; it might be too light-weight for
   you.

   - From what you've written, it sounds like you are an experienced Linux
   programmer; you know perl "makes hard things easy, and impossible things
   possible," both on and off the command line.
   - Is learning perl urgent for you?  If not, I encourage you to let
   necessity and curiosity drive your learning, looking up how to accomplish
   specific tasks reference books (#1 above), not tutorial books (#2 above).

You may already know:  If you are affiliated with an academic institution,
you can read O'Reilly books for free online at safari.oreilly.com.  For
example, BYU students (and alumni?) can login to Safari with BYU RouteY
authentication<https://www.lib.byu.edu/cgi-bin/remoteauth.pl?url=http://proquest.safaribooksonline.com/>
thanks
to the Utah Academic Library Consortium.

Cheers,
James Carroll

jcarroll at byu.net

P.S.  Is bottom-posting or top-posting preferred on this list?  Thanks!