Server locking root account

Matthew Walker mwalker at
Sat Mar 7 18:36:54 MST 2009

Several servers I help manage have recently developed a somewhat alarming habit. They
have started modifying the root account to have no shell account, which of course makes
it impossible to log into root.

We can still get in with regular users, and fix the issue using sudo, but I would LOVE
to know what is causing this behavior so that we can fix it. I've tried google, but I
haven't found anything helpful.

The servers are running CentOS, and cPanel. If you need other information, feel free to
ask, and I'll provide what I can.

Matthew Walker
Kydance Hosting & Consulting, Inc. -