Sweet Mother of Perl!

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Wed Mar 4 22:44:03 MST 2009

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 10:06:43PM -0700, Matt Nelson wrote:
> I don't mind using CPAN, it just depends on what I'm doing.  If I'm
> deploying something to be used on hundreds of servers I don't like having to
> install packages.  If it is say a custom SNMP Nagios plugin I don't mind
> installing a handful of stuff from CPAN.

Some CPAN modules are available via your disty's package installer,
yum, aptitude, etc. Many others are not. For those, converters do
exist, but may not work for all packages.

So installing CPAN modules isn't necessarily all that hard.

Also, a module may be worth the hassle of installing it on hundreds of
servers if using it saves you a lot of development time.

So be aware of what's in CPAN, but use it cautiously.