Sweet Mother of Perl!

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Wed Mar 4 22:08:16 MST 2009

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 09:46:17PM -0700, Matthew Walker wrote:

> On Wed, March 4, 2009 9:40 pm, Matt Nelson wrote:
> > P.S. If I buy a book based on your recomendations and I don't like it YOU
> > WILL HEAR ABOUT IT!  jk.  For what it's worth I am more of a visual learner,
> > and learn by examples.
>
> First, I must recommend the Perl Cookbook. It has served me very well, and is a great
> resource for those of us who learn by example.

Agreed. However, it is not a book for learning Perl all by itself. Do
buy another book as well.

> Secondly, in all seriousness, when I was just starting with Perl, I
> got a great deal of value out of Perl For Dummies. I lied in my job
> interview about whether I knew perl, and bought PFD on the way
> home. By the time work started, I was competent enough to not rock
> the boat. :) (Admittedly, already being fluent in two or three other
> languages made that a LOT easier)

I can't speak to PFD, but the Camel Book, Programming Perl, is a more
traditional first book. Probably better for your purpose is the Llama
Book, Learning Perl, Randall Schwartz.

Other than PFD, the books we've mentioned are all from O'Reilly,
http://oreilly.com/perl/.