Sweet Mother of Perl!

Matt Nelson matt at frozenatom.com
Wed Mar 4 21:40:27 MST 2009

Well I have finally come to the conclusion that perl is not going to die
anytime soon.  Up to now I have been able to do most of my Linux related
tasks by writing bash scripts, python scripts, and even java.  Well I am in
a spot where I need to get more familiar with perl to maintain existing
scripts, and extend or create new ones.

Can I get some recommendations on a good perl book?

I'm looking for something that gives examples mainly related to interfacing
with the linux system, ie: doing what most do in bash, but in perl, file
access, working with files, renaming and other regex related tasks.  Also I
would like one that sticks mostly to using packages that are included in the
standard perl install.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

P.S. If I buy a book based on your recomendations and I don't like it YOU
WILL HEAR ABOUT IT!  jk.  For what it's worth I am more of a visual learner,
and learn by examples.