Alternatives to Active Directory

Ryan Simpkins plug at ryansimpkins.com
Tue Jun 23 13:02:54 MDT 2009

On Thu, June 18, 2009 14:19, Michael Torrie wrote:
> Steve Meyers wrote:
>> Has anyone successfully used anything (especially open source software)
>> besides Active Directory as the primary login authentication for Windows
>> computers?
>
> Samba 4?  It probably work well enough to get you started.  As for
> features, I get the impression progress has slowed significantly.

Why do you have that impression? Last year we had Steve French from IBM
address the group. He gave the very clear impression that not only is the
Samba project the most active it has ever been, it is significantly more
active. This is due in large part to the invitation that the Samba team was
given by Microsoft to work together. Steve indicated that the collaboration
with Microsoft was working well, and producing astounding results. Steve also
demoed clustered Samba, a pretty major feature. Additionally, the Samba
project has posted 6  releases in June alone.

>From the latest RC release notes:
http://us3.samba.org/samba/ftp/rc/WHATSNEW-3-4-0rc1.txt

"On the way towards a standalone Samba AD domain controller, Samba3 and Samba4
branches can be built as "merged" build."

Sounds like it is full steam ahead toward building a full feature AD domain
controller. I've heard the idea that Samba appears to be slowing down from
several people. What are they seeing? I'm not trying to attack anyone, I'm
just wondering what I'm missing.

-Ryan