Fwd: making mailman work

Richard Esplin richard at esplins.org
Thu Jun 18 16:31:59 MDT 2009

To get mailman running you need to (this is from memory):
* Lightly edit /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py
* Configure apache to point to mailman
* Configure postfix or other mailer to send and receive email from your box (be careful not to be an open relay for spam)
* Setup the mailman list
* Setup the mailing lists that you want through the web interface

Then you need to go to http://MAILMAN_URL/admin to get a mailman page. Only publicly advertised lists will appear.

It sounds like you're almost there.

If I remember correctly, the Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) is created by /etc/hostname plus /etc/resolv.conf. You need both setup properly so that when mailman asks python what box you are on it gets a hostname plus domain name (set /etc/hostname with a text editor and /etc/resolv.conf with DHCP or static). Though I think you can also give it what it wants by setting something in mm_cfg.py (DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST and DEFAULT_URL_HOST?).

HTH,

Richard