Alternatives to Active Directory

Steve Meyers steve-plug at spwiz.com
Wed Jun 17 10:19:45 MDT 2009

Has anyone successfully used anything (especially open source software)
besides Active Directory as the primary login authentication for Windows
computers?  I've seen pGina, but that is no longer maintained, and I
don't think it works on Vista or Windows 7.  From what I've seen, Vista
has a better authentication mechanism that should make it easier to use
alternative directories, but I haven't been able to find a way to
authenticate it against a generic LDAP and/or Kerberos source.

Thanks!

Steve Meyers