Closing a stuck port...

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Tue Jun 16 10:15:53 MDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Matt Nelson<matt at frozenatom.com> wrote:
> We have a java app that has many ports open.  There is one port that is
> stuck and we would like to not have to kill the process, but just close/kill
> the port that it has open.  Anyone know how to do this?

tcpkill just listens to network traffic based on the expression you
pass it.  Any packets that match the expression cause a forged RST
(reset) packet to be sent to the originator of the matched packet.
Hence killing the TCP session.  This isn't an OS level close of a
port, but a network level kill of a TCP session, it can even be run
from a 3rd party machine.  This is probably not what you are looking
for.

--lonnie