OT - Automation QA Engineer Wanted

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Thu Jun 4 08:21:17 MDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-06-04 at 07:51 -0600, Andrew McNabb wrote:
> Am I dumb for not knowing what "Rock Star QA" is?  Is this a Guitar Hero
> thing or something?

Before the economy went south, companies had to fight tooth and nail for
employees. As a result, some companies chose to spoil employees rotten.
Game rooms, catered lunches, laundry service, cocoa butter foot
massages. Every IT employee's whim was middle management's command.

With the recent downturn, most IT employees are feeling chastened, more
grateful to have a job, any job, and less inclined to demand pampering.
This has been bad for middle management. No longer do they look like
heroes fighting to keep whiny IT employees on track.

As a result, an increasing number of companies have started looking for
"rock star" employees, people who will continue to make unreasonable
demands and display outrageous behavior no matter what direction their
career is headed. No one is willing to admit it openly, but the truth is
middle management is desperate. Without disruptive employees to herd,
they're bored, afraid, and a little car sick.

At least that's my understanding of the situation. ;-)

using enough of it." - Chris Maden