[JOB] PHP5 Developer - Telecommute - 60k/year

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Fri Jul 31 20:41:13 MDT 2009

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 13:30:01 -0400
"Beau Gould \(OSS\)" <beau at open-source-staffing.com> wrote:

Beau, I am interested in this position. I was amicably laid off from
End Point (http://www.endpoint.com/) in March and have been on
sabbatical ever since. But I may be willing to come out of sabbatical
for a sufficiently interesting company and job.

End Point has a work environment similar to what you describe, with
three employees in the New York Office and the rest scattered around
the country. Communications are by IM, Skype, wiki, email, SSH,
screen, etc. And, as a published author (Bantam, Sams, Linux Journal,
et al.), I have an excellent command of the English language.

Also like your client, End Point does web work, with award winning
ecommerce clients. In fact, one thing I can do for your client is
leverage End Point's expertise as consultants where they do not
already have comparable expertise in house.

My resume (http://www.charlescurley.com/resume.charles.curley.html)
will tell you that I have been at the IT business for 30 years. I have
been using Linux for half of that (and BSD too). I've also used HP-UX,
AIX, Ultrix and others.

I have several concerns.

* Is this "head developer" strictly a developer, or is he a technical
  lead, or is this also a management position? I distinguish the latter
  two by fact that the latter has hiring and firing authority. I've
  done all three roles.

* Your client has been at this at least three years. Their salary
  (which is only a negotiating point after all) is less than I was
  earning at End Point, yet they offer no benefits. I also know what
  it costs me to have my own health insurance coverage.

* Why has it taken them three years to do a re-write, and why are they
  only now in beta testing? Is that what the person who takes this job
  is supposed to ascertain? And cure?