hosed hard drive help

Garth Hill garth at thrag.net
Thu Jul 30 17:19:51 MDT 2009

Jonathan Duncan wrote:
> Need input.  Define "frizzled".

To be honest I'm not totally sure the extent of the damage.  She told me
she took it to Best Buy and when they put it in their computer to try to
just copy the data it "froze" their computer as well.  That's when they
gave her the $1600 figure.  I think they also suggested some software
options.  I don't know her level of tech knowledge or anything.  I just
got the call bc I was a friend of a friend who "does computer stuff"
(I'm a programmer..).

I think the input I got so far is about what I expected and I think
it'll be the best advice we can give her.

Basically, I would suggest this:

1. try spinrite, testdisk/photorec first
2. try freezing it
3. pay the big bucks

Thanks again for the help!

- Garth