podcast feed generation for itunes

Scott Edwards supadupa at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 16:03:50 MDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 5:36 PM, Lonnie Olson<lists at kittypee.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 3:39 PM, Scott Edwards<supadupa at gmail.com> wrote:
>> My music is a bit of a mess on multiple computers, but I'd like to
>> consolidate most of it to the ibook so I can sync to my soon to be
>> here ipod. :)
>>
>> Importing music with mac+o doesn't seem to digest large collections
>> well.  I have some podcasts that seem to handle this better.  I have
>> apache running on all my workstations (huzza for mod_userdir).  I'm
>> sufficiently savvy with perl, but I'm lazy! Is there a wheel for this?
>>  I don't mind inventing my own, but I need something to take a list of
>> files, and create the spiffy xml file for feeding itunes as a podcast
>> so it'll download stuff over the network etc.
>
> Using the podcasting mechanisms to download your local tunes is very
> hackish, and unnecessary.
>
> The simplest way to accomplish your goal is to:
> * Mount the source location to the destination using Samba/NFS/etc
> * Verify iTunes is configured to copy files to the local library
> * Using the File -> Add to Library dialog to select the folder on the
> mounted location to Add to your Library.
>
> an alternative may include simple rsync from source to destination,
> and using the Add to Library of the local folder, after turning off
> the "Keep my iTunes music folder organized" option.

You should know I'm a big rsync fan.

> --lonnie

I've solved these two itunes issues now.  There is one folder that I
imported five or six times, simply confused they didn't show up
anywhere.

The library check boxes you talked about got me thinking, and the
target rsync folder (ibook as the destination), is in the Music/
directory, so it didn't get copied again. But, iTunes didn't add these
to its database... annoying, but easily fixed by moving the target
just below $HOME.

As for the second problem, a track I fetched off my mp3 player for the
car (just a 3rd party no name brand) had mp3 metadata that didn't
match the filename, so when I searched for the filename in spotlight,
it only found this copy.  When I double clicked on it (source being
the usb drive), it played in itunes, but showed a different track
name, one that I wasn't able to find because all the searches I used
would miss it.

Thanks for the thoughts fungus.

Scott Edwards